T-Camp: An InterCampus Retreat for Trans/Genderqueer & Gender Questioning Students
January 6-8, 2012 @ Camp de Benneville Pines
T-Camp is an intercampus retreat to explore gender identity and expression and to engage in dialogue with our peers. This event is specifically for students who are transgender, genderqueer, or gender questioning (TGQQ). Retreat facilitators include transgender and genderqueer community members, as well as campus LGBT resource professionals. We encourage you to apply for T-Camp if:
- You are a TGQQ-identified college student
- You wish to explore your own gender identity/expression and engage in dialogue with others
- You wish to build community with your peers across multiple campuses and experiences
- You wish to gain knowledge regarding trans issues, self-care and wellness, and accessing resources and support
T-Camp is built on UC Irvine's ground-breaking TGQQ Retreat in Spring 2011, which brought together trans/genderqueer and gender questioning UCI students for a 1-day retreat. UCI and other California colleges decided to expand UCI's model to a 3-day intercampus retreat. Our hope is to improve the lives of TGQQ students who often do not have a large TGQQ community on their own campuses, and to create more trans-friendly campuses everywhere.
Click here for Online T-Camp Application
- Complete the online T-Camp application. The priority deadline is November 1, 2011
- T-Camp organizers will notify you in November if your application has been accepted.
- Students may work with a campus representative to find funding to cover the $140 fee. Funding sources include student government grants, departmental funds, etc.
- A payment form, liability form, and emergency contact form will be posted on this website in November. All forms and payment are due by December 1.
- Questions regarding applications and payment may be directed to Nancy Tubbs (UCR director of LGBT resources) at 951.827.2267, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camp de Benneville Pines is in the San Bernardino Mountains.
- T-Campers will gather at 1:00pm, Friday, January 6 @ the University of Redlands for a pre-departure get-together (pizza provided). Parking is FREE.
- The bus will leave Friday afternoon at 3:00pm from the University of Redlands, and return Sunday afternoon by 4:30pm. All participants must take this bus to and from camp.
- Saturday night features a Talent(less) Show, so come prepared with props and music. A piano is on-site.
- All meals and snacks provided, including vegetarian and vegan options.
- Cabins include hot showers and bunkbeds with comfortable mattresses.
- No alcohol or drugs at the camp!
- I will maintain confidentiality. I will not discuss who participated in the event. Nor will I share details of what transpired in any way that could affect the privace of the group or individuals in the group.
- I will be an active participant. I will be on-time to all T-Camp activities. I will turn off my cell phone during activities.
- I will give a spirit of support. I will support others in the group through my words and actions, to the best of my ability. Although there is room for dialogue and disagreement, I understand the purpose of thise event is to build community. To that end I will use "I statements", not make generalizations, and not express myself in ways that could make others feel judged.
- I assume others are attending with positive intentions and want this to be a good and productive experience. I realize others may hold opinions different from my own. With that in mind, I will not personalize or assume malice when others state their opinions.
- I will abide by the ground rules set forth by T-Camp and agreed to by the group as a whole/majority at the start of the retreat and those in this application.
- Vanidy Bailey, UCSD
- Raja Bhatar, UCLA
- David Bishop, UCI
- Adriana di Bartolo, Clairemont Colleges
- Joshua Moon Johnsom, UCSB
- Ryan Lexi, UCI
- Carolyn O'Keefe, UCI
- Erin Pullin, Chapman University
- Koby Rodriguez, University of Redlands
- Nancy Tubbs, UCR
For more information, call (949) 824-3277 or e-mail email@example.com.